Old 28-07-2011, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default I really hate bugs

Frank wrote:
On 7/27/2011 9:39 PM, Snag wrote:
Stepped out to admire my garden a few minutes ago and just about
freaked . A large green caterpillar type bug has almost completely
denuded one of my cayenne plants of it's leaves . Ate into several
of the peppers too . The interweb has helped me identify this
thing as a tomato hornworm , and I'm about to read up on how to deal
with this pest . BTW , that one is now a puddle of goo and a bit
of green skin now .

I use a vegetable garden insecticide. Tomato horn worms can decimate
a plant fast and while they are big and easy to pick off, they are
difficult to see since they blend in with the plant so well.

I plucked two more this morning . This time from a couple of tomato plants
.. I have cantalopes running under the tomatoes , the poo piles on the leaves
led me right to the little horned buggers .
I'm puzzled , why have I never had a problem with these before ? This is
only the second year for 'maters in this location , and I didn't have any
last year . And I've never seen a moth that fits the description given in
the several articles I've read .
--
Snag
Learning keeps