Old 04-08-2011, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default split cantaloup/melon - still safe to eat?

Sam wrote:
If a melon/cantaloup splits while on the vine, can you still eat it? I
only saw two ladybugs and a bee on the split section. Could I cut that
whole section off and the rest still be safe to eat?

The insects are attracted by the sugar. It will probably be OK. The main
microbe that would grow on a melon would be a fungus that you would see or
smell and even then eating a little is not a big deal. I don't have a
problem with cutting bad bits out of fruit and eating the rest.

David