Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default The smell

Mysterious Traveler wrote:
On 08/05/2011 09:52 AM, Snag wrote:
of freshly picked cantalope is wafting throughout my house . When
I went out to check the garden early this morning , I could smell
the aroma when I was still several feet away . Touched the stem and
it fell off the fruit , so it's sittin' on my kitchen counter right
now . I picked one the other day , but got it just a tiny bit too
early and it wasn't as sweet as I like - the neighbor down the
street got that one . Now if this steenkin' heat wave would break ,
maybe my 'maters would start setting fruit again . Hasn't been a
bumper year for them , but there's still hope ! Got a few on the
plants , and some are starting to ripen . Now all I gotta do is beat
the bugs to them !

Just what part of the country are you located in?
You probably couldn't stand some real heat like we
have in West Texas. You probably, at least get rain
once in a while. Without an AC I would have died long
ago. The news said it's the hottest & driest first
seven months of the year since 1890.

I suspect by "maters" you mean tomatoes. The heat is what
seems like the culprit that is keeping mine from producing.
The beets, turnips, cabbage, kohlrabi and many others didn't
have a chance this year. The egg plant look like they're
starting to produce. Zucchini & green beans are doing good.

The only vegetation doing good is mesquite, and the only
animal life(so called) doing good are ants. We don't need
either one of those. If you stand in the wrong spot at night
you find big black ants crawling on you quick. "Deep Woods Off"
sprayed at the entrance of the garage keeps the ants out.
Amdro just makes them dig another entrance somewhere else.

Good luck with the heat & gardening.

--
Desert West Texas
GOOD NIGHT, Mrs. Calabash--wherever you are!

I'm in Memphis Tennessee , and what we lack in temps we make up for with
humidity . We went straight from cool and rainy to hot and dry , my lettuce
never stood a chance . From what I've seen on the TeeVee news , this has
been a hotter than normal summer pretty much everywhere .
This is on the heels of a colder/wetter winter than normal ... My son
suggested I check out the websites about magnetic polar shifts , but I think
a lot of the stuff out there is the ravings of delusional fanatics . However
, there might be some basis in fact for that theory- it also suggests that
the numerous earthquakes we've seen in the last few years is correlated with
the magnetic shift . And some pretty prestigious groups have indeed been
tracking the shift . Could get to be a hairy situation if some of the
predictors are right ...

--
Snag
Got Guns ?