Old 06-08-2011, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Martin Riddle Martin Riddle is offline

Default The smell

"Snag" wrote in message
of freshly picked cantalope is wafting throughout my house . When I
went out to check the garden early this morning , I could smell the
aroma when I was still several feet away . Touched the stem and it
fell off the fruit , so it's sittin' on my kitchen counter right now .
I picked one the other day , but got it just a tiny bit too early and
it wasn't as sweet as I like - the neighbor down the street got that
one . Now if this steenkin' heat wave would break , maybe my 'maters
would start setting fruit again . Hasn't been a bumper year for them ,
but there's still hope ! Got a few on the plants , and some are
starting to ripen . Now all I gotta do is beat the bugs to them !

--
Snag
Learning keeps

How may lopes? I have 2 hills and about 6 plants and only see 4 softball
sized fruit.
I've had plenty of pollinators the last month.

Zone 6 NY

Cheers