Old 05-08-2011, 09:23 PM posted to triangle.gardens
WesD WesD is offline

Default Crop failure

On Jul 29, 5:29*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:05:38 -0400, "Daniel B. Martin"

wrote:
On 07/29/2011 11:13 AM, wrote:
... you may have drowned it ...

Not likely. I use 5-gal paint pails drilled with five
3/4" drain holes and a layer of gravel in the bottom.

In that case the Spotlight Of Suspicion falls on a plant disease. * A
blight can kill quickly. *{From one who knows.}

I don't know much of anything about pests and pestilences. The first
year I did a container garden (2008) I learned more than I ever wanted
to know about cabbage worms and thereafter simply removed their
favorite foods from the buffet. Other than that, I haven't had any
problems.

But this has been a really bad year with heat and drought. If
drainage is not a problem, then disease is most likely the culprit.
One day they are fine and the next day wilted and dead within a week.
This is the reason I always plant more than I need because I usually
lose 20%. One plant will die and the other on each side only 6 feet
away will be fine.