Old 28-07-2011, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default 4 plants

On Jul 27, 12:11*pm, kay wrote:
NT;931170 Wrote:

Hi

I'm new here, and I hope I can ask about the identity of 4 plants I've
found in garden, which might well turn out to be quite handy to keep,
depending what they are. Basically I'm looking for food bearing
species.

Agree with other ids. Depending on how much space you have, in order of
usefulness I'd keep:

a) blackthorn for sloe gin (though you can usually gather enough from
hedgerows so it's a luxury really) It also flowers early, before the
leaves, which cheers one up in spring. But if you're limited for space,
remove it in due course and replace with something else.

b) hawthorn - like the sloe, it's in the rose family, which are usually
non-toxic. I'd be keeping it for the birds, which keep down pests and
improve the health and crop bearing of your other plants. But again, if
you're pushed for space, replace it by another fruit tree.

c) I'd keep the woody nightshade - the berries are so beautiful as they
turn from green to yellow to red, with a sort of translucent glow. *But
totally non-useful for you, and toxic. (Once when I was ill as a young
child and awaiting a doctor's visit, my mother warned me to remove the
vase of woody nightshade from beside me bed, in case he got the wrong
idea ;-) *)

d) the sycamore will be nothing but trouble *- get rid asap.

Thanks to everyone.

NT