Old 01-08-2011, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another cutting question

In message , Jake
writes
On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 11:21:54 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

Having taken a lot of cuttings how do I know if they have rooted? Early
failures are obvious when the cutting is obviously dead, but how to know
when they have taken and when to pot them on?

A lot depends on what the cuttings are but I'll guess you're talking
herbaceous plants. In general, I wait about a month to six weeks by
which time those cuttings that have taken will start to show signs of
growing - maybe new leaves forming or the cutting becoming higher. The
fact that the cuttings are still alive after that time is indication
enough that they are doing ok but it's just a case of letting the
roots develop enough to take the disturbance of potting on.

I grow a lot of cuttings in cell trays rather than pots and it's
usually easy to see that roots have developed by looking through the
holes in the bottom.

I often use the little net pots that they sell Fuchsias and bedding
plants in. You can then see the roots growing out through the net.

(Does anyone know where one can buy such pots?)

If all else fails, a* very* gentle pull of the cutting will tell you
whether or not it has rooted well. If there's any resistance then it's
ready for potting on.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley