Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Garden ER

On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:22:56 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 19:50:47 +0100, Mike Lyle
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 19:26:16 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 12:28:13 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Jul 29, 2:22*pm, Pam Moore wrote:
latest idiotic idea on Garden ER last night. *Water your plants with
Cola drinks! *
Whatever next!

Pam in Bristol

Coca cola is a quite string acid, might be OK for azaelias!

Phosphoric IIRC, but no N or K, so can't really see where any benefit
might come from. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

There's a bit of N in the caffeine. But I expect that it would be an
expensive source of N and P.

Would the sugar encourage the wrong soil bacteria? But I imagine a can
of The Real Thing would provide only negligible quantities of any of
its constituents in the open ground.

This programme does seem to be worth watching as comedy: perhaps I
should change my rather limited viewing habits.

(By the way, a few years ago I took advantage of a shattered tooth to
test the story that Coke dissolves teeth. I left a big fragment in the
suspect liquid for, IIRC, three days or more. It didn't dissolve
bodily, but the enamel surface had acquired a matt finish.)

I once, years ago, (NB ONCE only) tried cooking a ham joint in coca
cola, having heard the suggestion somewhere. Family were NOT
impressed. Now cider, that's a better idea.

Now you've jogged my memory, yes, I've had gammon done in cola, and I
don't remember being impressed.

--
Mike.