Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rufus rufus is offline

Default garden bonfires and the law

On 02/08/11 20:02, Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/08/2011 17:24, rufus wrote:
Given concern about pollution, recycling, energy conservation, etc I
wondered how widely local authorities in UK have banned the burning of
garden rubbish? Locally, I have seen tobacco smokers being driven back
into their workplaces by clouds of smoke from garden bonfires!

I only ever burn stuff that is tinder dry, on a day when the wind is
away from habitation and with enough airspace that it flash burns. The
snag is that this can alarm the neighbours as the flames go quite high.

I did once get the fire brigade called out to one of my garden bonfires
of bone dry raspberry canes. By the time they arrived it was a small
innocent looking pile of grey ash in front of the greenhouse. They were
surprisingly magnanimous about it considering it was a Sunday afternoon.

There is almost no smoke if you do it right. People who set fire to huge
piles of soggy wet leaves in autumn and leave them to smoulder forever
annoy me too. Causing unnecessary smoke pollution is an offence but
seldom prosecuted. I don't live in a smokeless zone so I can even burn
real coal...

OTOH I don't see why nicotine addicts should not suffer for their
harmful addiction. It would not be legal to sell tobacco today if the
toxicology and harm done by smoking it was properly taken into account.

That they are all outside puffing away frantically in a half built bus
shelter mid winter at -10C shows just how powerful the addiction is!

Regards,
Martin Brown

Two reasons why I got interested in the topic. First, our LA has gone
environmental and spent a lot of money developing the local dump,
providing compost facilities, etc. To pay for this, they raised the
cost to commercial users, with the result that self-employed jobbing
gardeners and such now won't use the dump, and burn the rubbish in situ,
thus achieving the exact opposite of what the council aimed at.

More important: we do ban coal smoke and tobacco smoke, so is wood and
leaf smoke all that different? Do we know whether it has similar
carcinogenic tars or not?