Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default 5 year plan for allotments

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 14:43:22 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 22:42:19 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 16:54:46 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
5. Toilets are very important, especially as one gets older, and with

more
women taking up allotment gardening it become a necessity both for the
ladies and for the gentlemen that don't wish to be accused of exposing
themselves. There are composting toilets available so they do not need mains
water or mains drainage.

Indeed. They cost money though and unless we can find funding for it
it's going to be years of saving up. There's only 9 plots on the site.

You can DIY one for next to nothing, called a treebog. I've used one of
these communally with dozens of people) and it was absolutely clean and
odourless... it also had its own sustainable handwash station using water
from its roof.

http://www.stewardwood.org/resources/DIYtreebog.htm
http://permaculture.wikia.com/wiki/Tree_bog

I've tried to persuade our committee to set up a straw-bale toilet
or something similar but they will not consider it. They want to put
in drains, mains water, and a building! I just can't convince them.
I was going to set up my own but have had to decide to give up my
plot, not just for toilet reasons.

Pam in Bristol

Is it a big site?

The costs associated with it would be huge - and if there's not a
great deal of plots it costs you each more.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk