Old 03-08-2011, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default garden bonfires and the law

"Moonraker" wrote in message
On 03/08/2011 12:52, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In , rufus says...

Given concern about pollution, recycling, energy conservation, etc I
wondered how widely local authorities in UK have banned the burning of
garden rubbish? Locally, I have seen tobacco smokers being driven back
into their workplaces by clouds of smoke from garden bonfires!

I once lived in an area (can't remember which), where there was a local
byelaw banning bonfires on Mondays - it was always regarded as wahing
day!

We live in the country opposite a roofing contractor who burns his waste,
as you can imagine the roof lining issues black smoke and smells awful.
Contacted the environmental agencies, all they did was to ensure that he
had a licence for transporting it (income you see). As regards the rest
they said to keep a diary and contact them next time he did it. As you can
guess he only does it on Bank holidays and Sundays, so no reply from the
council!

How 'friendly' do you want to stay with this chap? There are 'ways' and
'ways' of going about it. Some of the 'ways' may be long winded, but with a
little patience and determination and you are in the right, you can win.

Been there, done that, had roads moved, roads altered and more.

The secret is that you must be in the right and you must stand firm. People
WILL respect you for your stance and turn to you to fight their battle. (The
council wanted to apply planning permission to a piece of land they owned
and sell it. Some people got in touch with me ;-) That land was granted
Wildlife Land with a preservation order or something was placed on it)

Mike