Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Plum wine query

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011 01:35:14 +0100, "john smith"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 21:31:36 +0100, "john smith"
wrote:

"harryagain" wrote in message

"john smith" wrote in message
Hi there!

We have a surfeit of plums this year - and very nice they are too! -
but
rather than letting them go to waste. I was wondering how easy it'd be
make plum wine? I've found a few recipes online but was wondering if
anyone here had any first-hand tips they could pass on?

Thanks in advance!

Plum makes a good wine.
The main problem is a haze caused by pectin in the plums, you'll
probably
need a pectin enzyme to clear it.

Why not make jam? The pectin is an asset here (makes the jam set)

Made plum jam last year and still got loads of jars of it left. Thought
I'd
tried something different this time round...

Cheers for the tip, though!

You could see if there's a produce exchange thing going on in your
area: somebody who hasn't got any plums may have too much of something
you would like.

--
Mike.

Never heard of that. Got any links? It's a shame they can't open a shop or
something on the allotment, where the public can come in and buy fresh fruit
and veg. Some by-law about people coming onto the property, I think...

Sorry: I know somebody who's trying to get one going in Coventry,
that's all. I see that "produce exchange" brings up some links on Ggl,
some of which are clearly the kind of thing I'm thinking of; so you
could poke about, maybe adding the name of your town or area to the
search term.

--
Mike.