Old 03-08-2011, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Cucumbers

Baz wrote:
Pfft, you say it would do good, but my poor composted bean patch is
overgrown with potato plants and pumpkin plants now!!

Well you have not composted long enough. A good compost left long enough
would not grow potatoes.

We have potatoes growing out of hte compost bin most of the year!
Everywhere on the allotment is covered in potatoes, everywerhe on the garden
is full of potatoes! Bloody things are everywhere!!

Don't know about pumpkin seeds but should be inert
I would have thought after a year or 2.

Think it's actually a spaghetti squash, now it's fruited. Got a lovely
fruit from it.

Don't be lazy, get the hoe out. Once or twice should do it and you have to
hoe anyway?

Very very rarely hoe anything. The beans are still unweedy enough that I
can pull by hand. I think the leafy potatoes and squash have kept the shade
and restricted most weeds. It's working quite well, tbh.
(don't forget, it's recommended growing beans/sweetcorn/squash together -
I've found the 3 together doesn't work, but combinations of the 2 do ..
this year I've got the squash accidentally under the beans, but also
courgettes deliberately with sweetcorn, and pumpkins deliberately with baby
sweetcorn, and both are doing really well.)