Old 04-08-2011, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default garden bonfires and the law

In message , Kathy
writes
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

rbel wrote in message
m...
On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 17:24:48 +0100, rufus rufus.nomailplease wrote:

Given concern about pollution, recycling, energy conservation, etc I
wondered how widely local authorities in UK have banned the burning of
garden rubbish? Locally, I have seen tobacco smokers being driven back
into their workplaces by clouds of smoke from garden bonfires!

There is no national legislation that bans garden bonfires. Some LAs
may have bylaws controlling them but I am not aware of specific cases

I do compost, but the woody cuttings, I allow to dry on top of the
compost heap and then I have a bonfire.

What you want is a shredder. Big stuff goes in the woodstore for
the stove in the house.
Small stuff goes through the shredder and is composted or used as
mulch under shrubs etc.
Never need to light a fire.

I do have a shredder but there is a limit to the amount of mulch I
can use.

And not everyone has a stove to burn the big stuff.

But it can probably be given away to someone who does
--
Chris French