Old 05-08-2011, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Sparrow hawks

On 05/08/2011 15:21, Phil Cook wrote:
On 05/08/2011 13:16, Spider wrote:
On 04/08/2011 22:51, Phil Cook wrote:
On 04/08/2011 16:58, Kay wrote:

Ravens are a size bigger than rooks and crows.

Ravens go cronk and crows caw. Also ravens have far more attitude, comes
with the size I guess.

Sizewise from big to small: ravens, rooks, crows, jackdaws.

Thanks. I'm very familiar with Jackdaws and love their blue beady-eye.
Your remaining corvid size scale is useful for comparison, but I
rarely see them side by side to make that kind of judgement. I've also
been told to look out for feathered or shaggy 'trousers' or bare beak,
but they *all* seem to have that! :~( Most frustrating.

Shaggy trousers and a bare beak (actually a patch of bare skin at the
base of the beak) is a description of a rook. They also go caw. Ravens
have more angular heads than the others.

Thanks for that, Phil. I'll try and apply that when next I see a
large-ish black corvid.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London