Old 06-08-2011, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT. Twitter accounts

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I hope those are not your actual security checks! Mothers maiden name,
date and place of birth are almost trivial to obtain these days. Copies
of birth or marriage certificates too and plenty of places will take
them as proof of ID (event though they shouldn't). Cost would be about
20 to find that info if you were being targeted for fraud.

You would have quite a job getting a copy of my birth certificate
except by asking me for one! I don't even know if I still could,
though I probably could after considerable hassle and delay (and,
by that, I am talking several months and possibly years).

However, I am unusual in that respect. You could find most people's
as easily as you say.

Mothers maiden name is completely useless as a security question.

Mine is tolerable. While a stranger could find that information
via the net, it would require considerable application and even
ingenuity. Anyone who disagrees is welcome to Email me with it!
But I agree that I wouldn't call it actually SECURE, as any serious
investigation would find it within the day.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.