Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sgt Pepper Sgt Pepper is offline

Default Garlic, shallot and onion query

Similar problems here in SW France. We had less than normal amounts of
winter rain and the worst drought for 50 years since March. I've watered as
best I can and had OK onions, but the shallots and garlic were much smaller
than normal.

I've found my first evidence of white rot and now that all the alliums are
lifted, I'm going to try an organic cure that I read about here ...
http://www.growyourown.info/page173.html

Fingers crossed that it works.

Roy

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Moonraker" wrote

This year my onions have been excellent, my shallots mediocre and garlic
b***** awful. As they have been grown in the same conditions, side by
side, why should that be please?

So many variables but Garlic is usually finished growing well before
shallots and onions IME. So if you had the drought like us in the spring
did you water it? Did you plant it in the autumn, late Sept early Oct?
Our garlic is quite good this year, bigger bulbs than in the shops and
very juicy.

Our problem with onions is White Rot which seems to be getting worse. A 4
year rotation makes no difference. Anyone got a cure?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK