Old 08-08-2011, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John Rye[_2_] John Rye[_2_] is offline

Default Garlic, shallot and onion query

Hello All

In article ,
Moonraker wrote:
This year my onions have been excellent, my shallots mediocre and garlic
b***** awful. As they have been grown in the same conditions, side by
side, why should that be please?

I do not grow garlic, but my onions are good, and my shallots are mixed. I
try and maintain a number of HDRA varieties, and had 7 rows of different
varieties growing side by side. Earlier in ythe season they all looked to be
growing well, but at harvest only two rows are really good, and they are
varieties that do not normally make large bulbs. I am baffled.

I am in East Anglia which was very dry this year, but both onions and
shallots were watered.

John

--
John Rye