Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Ping Sacha

"Kathy" wrote

"Bob Hobden"

"Kathy"
No need to guess, I know the family came from Devon.

My wife and all her family "knew" their family came from Norway
three/four generation back. Not so, Carlisle more like, certainly up that
way but with nothing in the records offices up there it's difficult to go
any further. What I did find was that two generations of the family
didn't know their fathers and one lost their mother too whilst very young
which is probably where the myth came from.

No, this is not a myth, it's fact.

Our family myth was that Great Uncle Arthur went to Australia, made a
fortune, owned land, died at Gallipoli and left it all to an Australian
girlfriend. Not so. He died at Calais and owned nothing.

I've got an offshoot of the family way back that actually did just that,
sent to Oz originally for stealing a loaf to feed his wife and 4 kids, he
ended up owning 3,000 acres and was the first person to plant vines in the
Hunter Valley.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK