Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Insect bite (again!!)

On 2011-08-09 23:00:57 +0100, said:

Same damned thing that bit me on the hand and my whole hand puffed up, but
this time it's bitten me right in the middle of my shin. :-(
A 2mm initial bite spot (actually, there are 2 of them, only one has reacted
/very/ badly) has turned into a dark red patch about 2cm across, a raised
bump about 6cm x 10cm. And it aches.

Do you have any clue if this is a spider bit, Vicky? Were you in the
same area of the garden/allotment when you were bitten? There are some
spider bites that cause allergic reactions and Ray had something
similar on his lip a couple of years ago, though it didn't hurt at all,
just went numb and large swelling.

From a Sun/Mirror/Mail/etc. headline:

Venomous Spiders Attack Gardeners

There are, but don't jump to conclusions. A huge number of insects
(in the old sense, including spiders, mites and centipedes) can do
that, and it's almost impossible to tell which unless you notice
the bite/sting. The majority tend to be called flies or midges
because they, er, often fly and are often small :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.