Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kay Kay is offline

Default Insect bite (again!!)

On 10/08/2011 09:43, in article , "Jeff
Layman" wrote:

Go to your local pharmacy and get some loratidine or cetirizine
antihistamine tablets (these are "non-drowsy"). This will help dampen
the response to the bite. Also get some hydrocortisone-based cream to
rub on the bite.

As you react so badly, you might want to consider using insect-repellent
spray or cream before venturing into the garden for any length of time.

Two other thoughts. I find Savlon works quite well in the absence of
anything else - I believe it has a low level anaesthetic effect (same stuff
as teething gel I believe) so it relieves local irritation quite well.

Afterbite and similar sticks contain some sort of ammonia compound, and
again relieve itching afterwards. I've found that they also seem to reduce
the swelling and blistering that I usually get from mozzie bites (I usually
get swelling as described by the OP, and a central area up to 1cm across of
yellow fluid-fillied blisters).