Old 10-08-2011, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default How bad is bad?

Martin wrote in
:

On 2011-08-10 10:46:44 +0100, Kay said:

On 09/08/2011 17:34, in article ,
"Sacha" wrote:

The people in these riots and the man who attacked your
property aren't poor, they're not in real need of food or shelter
which IS poverty, they're just destructive or jealous or lazy or
all those things.

There is the concept of relative poverty - being unable to share in
the lifestyle that all around you take for granted, or seeing any
means to do so.

Everyone knows someone with more or better than they've got. I don't
see that as an excuse. If people want more and better, find a legal
way of acquiring it. The people organising the looting in the riots,
or the riots themselves, have Blackberries, not tin cans on the end of
a string.

which were almost certainly stolen, not bought.

But there's no excuse for looting and violence.

Absolutely none. I can understand it better where there's real abject
poverty, allied with a repressive dictatorship. This was organised
crime for greed. A comparatively small number of feral humans have
destroyed homes, businesses, livelihoods and terrorised people on the
street or in their cars. That's a shame and disgrace upon all of us,
imo, because in one way or another, we've allowed things to reach a
pitch where it *can* happen. But we really are so far OT now that I
have to accept I'm never going to be World President and bow out
gracefully! ;-)

:-)

I saw a senior police rep. on tv today and he is a wuss.

Use Water Cannons, Tasers, tear gas and anything else known to subdue the
mindless looters. It worked in Northern Ireland during the "troubles",
with the exception of the taser.
It's obvious that some innocent people live close, but give a warning 24
hours in advance, and a lot of support workers, the area would be ripe
for picking.
We need to stand against the ?insurgents? make them back down, take the
leaders, put them on trial and see who supports this neo Nazzi regime.

Baz