Old 10-08-2011, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default How bad is bad?

Sacha wrote:
We have, also, a modern culture that requires the adults to stop
speaking when mini-Fred opens his mouth. In my day - (harumph) - it
was "hush, the adults are speaking". I say that now to my
grandchildren if they interrupt and their parents say it too. But some
young parents have looked at me as if I came from Planet Monster.

I think there's a fine line there, between "wait your turn to speak" and
pushing a child into a position where they don't feel confident enough to
speak because they feel they will be ignored and their opinion isn't valid.

(I tell Nick off for his frequent dismissing of Benjamin's comments as
'silly' or 'rubbish' - it's not a healthy way to encourage a child's
development if they don't feel they can speak out)