Old 10-08-2011, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default pistachio shells

On 2011-08-10, wrote:

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:

I've been putting pistachio shells in my worm/compost bin with the
rest of the kitchen waste. They don't break down quickly, but (unlike
avocado stones, for example), they aren't big enough to be a nuisance
in the output.

But I've used cocoa shell mulch in the past, and I'm wondering whether
pistachio shells might also be useful as mulch. Any ideas?

They would be fine, but you must spend a fortune on pistachios!

It's a very small garden, and I only need to mulch in pots. (The area
under/around the pots is already mulched and stable.)

Also, is the salt likely to be harmful?

No.

Thanks.