Old 10-08-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Insect bite (again!!)

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On 10 Aug 2011 14:27:01 GMT, wrote:
Kay wrote:
Afterbite and similar sticks contain some sort of ammonia compound, and
again relieve itching afterwards. I've found that they also seem to reduce
the swelling and blistering that I usually get from mozzie bites (I usually
get swelling as described by the OP, and a central area up to 1cm across of
yellow fluid-fillied blisters).

Definitely wasn't a mosquito - no itching, just a central dimple (presumably
where the bite started), a widening dark red patch, and a widening (but
shrinking again now, fortunately) raised swollen patch, which was very warm
to the touch when it was at it's peak.

A warm raised swelling patch is probably a spider bite rather than an
insect. Most spider bites hurt immediately but false widows get away
before any pain or swelling is noticed. They usually get better in a
day or two.

Not in the UK, it isn't. There are damn few British spiders that
can bite through the skin on most areas of most people, and those
symptoms are common in reaction to insect bites.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.