Old 10-08-2011, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
john smith john smith is offline

Default How bad is bad?

On 2011-08-10 10:39:20 +0100, Kay said:

On 09/08/2011 17:39, in article , "Sacha"
wrote:

I appreciate what you're saying, Kay but Harry's remark was not
inclined towards working for the benefit of the community as a whole,
but more to hoping he could fool the trouble into becoming someone
else's problem. If there's a problem area, all the people in that
street, or on that estate, working *together* may produce a result.
"Pull up the ladder, Jack" won't do it. AIUI, there are areas where
crime has been pretty bad but where determined residents have managed
to clean it up and get their lives back in their own hands again.

But have they got rid of the crime or merely displaced it? Changing the
subject - we have a problem (as most places do) of where do older
teenagers
go when they want to get together with their mates? They don't want to
be
sitting under the eye of their parents - and, indeed, parents,
especially
those without large houses, don't really want half a dozen noisy young
males
in the house. So residents complain, and they get displaced from
Morrisons
car park - but they haven't decided to stay at home, instead they've
moved
to the field opposite the sheltered bungalows.

There are so many underlying problems leading to this sort of behaviour
that at present, I think people can only tackle what affects *them*. The
wider picture and - perhaps - a solution may then start to emerge. But
the first step seems to be to show people like Baz's criminal that
criminal acts won't be tolerated by anyone in that
street/estate/community.

I think what an experience such as Baz's shows us is that the softly
softly approach by politicians, who then instruct the police and the
judiciary, simply doesn't work. Back to the days of "if you can't do the
time, don't do the crime". As to what is done about youths who kicked
around, bored and so forth, I wish I had an answer. Youth Clubs used to
be a solution but no doubt these are now deeply uncool.

But it seems to me that there are two answers to this, firstly, parents
should always know where thir children are, who they're with and what
time they are expected home. And secondly, children have to learn their
place on the 'ladder' - being 'bored' or whatever the excuse is, does not
give them the right to be a damned nuisance to others. Perhaps *their*
parents have to get together and organise themselves and their children
into areas where they can enjoy each other's company without upsettinig
neighbours. I know this sounds simplistic and perhaps, idealistic but
until parents do start to demonstrate concern, interest and that actions
have consequences, why should their children think otherwise? I'm
talking about a return to basic parenting where every family has to take
responsibility for how children are raised and for teaching them how to
live within the wider world without being a pain to everyone around them.
We can all only do that in our own small way, starting with ensuring
those who cause nuisance or crime are dealt with.
--
Sacha

With so many marriages, if they bother to get married in the first place,
breaking up and couples flitting from couple to couple, how do you expect
the 'Family Home' to be a Unit? Brothers and Sisters might not even know
which 'Father' is which.

As a family which has stuck together for over 54 years, I still have the
same wife, and all of the children, all four of them, have the same Mother
and Father, I am sometimes not at all amazed that the 'Family Unit' has
gone out of the window.

How many readers of this newsgroup have the same partner they started out
with over 30 years ago?

Mike

--

Governments have been trying to destroy the family unit for years now. As
you reap...

http://www.2012theawakening.com/?cat=87

http://www.hyscience.com/archives/20...re_fatherl.php