Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Neil Jones Neil Jones is offline

Default How bad is bad?

On 10/08/2011 17:48, wrote:
In , wrote:

My dad had to serve in N.I and lost his life with 1RGJ in 1982
Please do not advise me about provos, I suspect you have read a few
newspapers and stuff regarding Bobby Sands and hunger strikes. Hughes etc.

You suppose wrong.

If you want to learn how people with your attitude turned a soluble
political problem into the civil war it became, you really should
read "Voices From The Grave". I knew what was happening at the time,
from contemporary reports, but obtaining them now would be very hard
work (assuming they still exist). Oh, and the period was 1968 to
1972. After the government accepted the Widgery Report, the problem
was no longer soluble without major bloodshed.

The situation in England today is not comparable, but it IS very
comparable with that which caused the rise of Malcolm X, the Black
Panthers etc. The real danger, here and now, is that disaffected
people of the calibre of those in the Baader Meinhof gang will get
involved (e.g. the unemployed graduates who realise that their
debts will buy them nothing). And a hybrid of those two is not
nice to contemplate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick is quite right. His email address is no accident. Ability to see
the bigger picture as opposed to being "hang 'em flog 'em lock 'em all
up like" is a sign of intelligence. There is research on this!