Old 10-08-2011, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default How bad is bad?

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:41:51 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
Amongst root causes are no hope of employment in some areas, the
opportunity to steal things that rioters could never afford and
"having fun".
--

Martin

Whilst agreeing with the above, I believe you haven't gone far enough.
Before the "no hope " stage arrives, people - i.e. children/youths need
have been taught respect for their elders.

Only a small minority are out of control.

This goes even further back to
their school days where lack of discipline was / is rife.

The abolishment of corporal punishment was the start of the rot. No one
ever wanted to "beat up" children for misbehaving, but a short sharp
shock
worked wonders

for the applier of corporal punishment?

Rmember Willy Whitlelaw's proposal which got nowhere ?

In retrospect we can appreciate the wisdow of our own education, I assume
we
are all well behaved pillars of society !

At the school I went to only the bad teachers resorted to corporal
punishment.
--

Martin

"Corporal Punishments" is such a strong phrase - not invented by me, but
it must be remembered that the cane never did any real harm - it did more
good than harm. One only got the cane if one misbehaved, was cheeky or
rude - tendencies which needed to be corrected. The pillars of society at
the time of its abolition had in all probability received the cane at some
time. The "do-gooders" have ruined society and we are now reaping the
products of their actions.

There were, without doubt, bad teachers who went beyond the ethos of good
discipline.

Bill

I went to a Private School and the Slipper was very effective.

But here is an interesting thought, to what degree did a Private education
'implant' a different, more adult/responsible 'mind' in the body? We have
quite a 'sprinkling' of privately educated people in our family and the
thought of any of them running amok as the looters and crowds have been
doing shocks us. The resulting qualifications and professions speaks
volumes.

Mike