Old 11-08-2011, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Grey Bill Grey is offline

Default How bad is bad?

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Bill Grey wrote:
"Kay" wrote in message

Wow ! Your statement about knowing people etc...... is somewhat
surreal.
Having confidence knocked out of them is certainly an exaggeration or a
distortion of the facts.

You don't know who I am talking about, so your statement is based on
ignorance of the facts. The most you can legitimately say is that your
experience is different from mine.

You are absolutely correct - I do not know the people to which you refer.
However to say that they went to a school with corporal punishmentnet
turned
them from bright confident children into adults having had the confidence
knocked out of them suggests they were bullied rather fhan suffered from
the
occasional cane or slipper for some minor lapse in their normally
impeccable
behaviour.

That is true, but only if you use "bully" in a very generic sense;
which includes a great deal that used to be regarded as an essential
part of proper education.

Come now, I can't believe that the tag "Corporal punishment" applied the
the school could possibly cause the effect you report without the school
being referred to some authority to consider its suitablilty as a centre
of
education.

And that is not. It took me 20+ years to recover from the PHYSICAL
damage caused by punishments at one school, which I discovered later
had been classed as torture in the Nueremberg trials! Not extreme
torture, but still classified as such. And that was a 'respected'
English public school.

Do you think that we can drop this?

Of course, because if one X mentions "the slipper" someone else bring s up
"thumbscrews" - theoretically, totally distorting the discussion..

Bill.