Old 11-08-2011, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default How bad is bad?

In message , Mike Lyle
writes

Yes, it would be good fun. Personally, I'd like to see costed plans
for this eventuality. Would there be permanent Green-Liquid Squirting
Officers stationed every hundred yards in every city of the United
Kingdom, ready to spring into action once every ten or twenty years?
Or would there be a Green-Liquid Flying Squad, ready to travel at a
moment's notice in order to arrive after the looting's finished? Would
they be armed to protect them from being knocked out as a preliminary
to the looting?

LOL!

We're all repelled, angry, afraid, and all those feelings: I'm not
taking the, er, yellow liquid out of you, but we have to be practical.
And what the practical measures are, I'm far from certain. And if we
want it to stop, we do have to ask why it happens -- and I for one am
far from certain about that, too.

It's about time those taking this discussion seriously asked themselves
the question you pose.
Shrieking about savage and dubious retaliations does not provide the
answer. One of the best contributions I have heard to the debates
was on Newsnight, from a reformed black ex-criminal.
I doubt if many of the group will have struggled through his heavy
street accent, but he is the kind of person who can best give clues as
to the causes and the cure of youth crime.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply