Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default How bad is bad?

In message , Bill Grey
writes

One only got the cane if one misbehaved, was cheeky or rude -
tendencies which needed to be corrected.

Not true, I'm afraid. My mate and I were sent for the cane (a
narrow springy rod) administered with relish by headmaster Hiles because
we had lost track of where we were up to in a read-aloud session.

One of my mates fared even worse. He had constructed a wooden teapot
stand in a woodwork lesson, and had done such a good job that he was
told to go and show it to Mr Hiles.

He knocked on the door, and before he had time to say anything, Hiles
had grabbed the cane and told him to hold out his hand!

It took a desperate plea before he was allowed to tell the real reason
he had been sent to see the Head!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply