Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default How bad is bad?

On 11/08/2011 16:25, Gordon H wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes

We have, also, a modern culture that requires the adults to stop
speaking when mini-Fred opens his mouth. In my day - (harumph) - it
was "hush, the adults are speaking". I say that now to my
grandchildren if they interrupt and their parents say it too. But some
young parents have looked at me as if I came from Planet Monster.

I well remember those days. When queuing in a shop, children were
frequently ignored, and adults served out of turn.
If you were caught talking in class or couldn't find your place when it
was your turn to read aloud you were sent to wait outside the
headmaster's door to receive the stinging cane.
We were all scared of the barber, for some inexplicable reason.
I find it a joy when I interact with a responsive child in a public
place, you can soon spot the suppressed ones who shrink away.
We live in more enlightened times now, thank goodness..

Fortunately most of the yobs round here are handicapped by their
trousers which require one hand to hold them up