Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Styx Lawyer Styx Lawyer is offline

Default How bad is bad?

In article , lid says...

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 22:42:10 +0100 (BST),
wrote:

In article ,
Martin wrote:

I saw the German police suppressing a student demonstration in
Frankfurt in the late 1960s. I think the same sort of show of
overwhelming force would soon stop what is going on in London at the
moment.

The German police didn't use massive violence, they put enough riot
police on the streets to prevent demonstrations escalating into
mindless violence.

The German police in the 1960s were in one part of one city; controlling crowds who were
NOT in constant close communication by Blackberry/mobile phones etc. There is little chance
of making a show of "overwhelming force" when the locus of trouble can shift at the speed of
a twitter message... much faster than police can move.
Janet