Old 12-08-2011, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default How bad is bad?

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:18:21 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:
[...]
The
"do-gooders" have ruined society and we are now reaping the products of
their actions.

Did you miss the history lessons at school? If you want to catch up,
it would be fun to investigate the celebrated London Mob, and various
big-city riots of earlier centuries when the do-badders were still in
charge as nature intended. Oh, and the street crime: that was pretty
fruity, too.

Those comments sent me to my bookshelves, to find a book written in
1895:

"Twentyfive Years of Detective Life" By Jerome Caminada.
As I opened it I was delighted to find that it is a signed copy, and
belonged to my paternal grandfather.

It tells many stories of the "baddies" in Manchester, presumably in the
late 19th Century, with line illustrations.

I am tempted to open it up and read, perhaps as an alternative to
reading about gardening riots. ;-)

One hardback copy is advertised at £150, but it doesn't say whether it
is signed...
Others are cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...&tag=googhydr-
21&index=stripbooks&hvadid=8523354425&ref=pd_sl_6a z03w18f5_b
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply