Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Styx Lawyer Styx Lawyer is offline

Default How bad is bad?

In article , says...

"Kay" wrote in message

On 10/08/2011 20:29, in article
,
"Bill Grey" wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message

Wow ! Your statement about knowing people etc...... is somewhat surreal.
Having confidence knocked out of them is certainly an exaggeration or a
distortion of the facts.

You don't know who I am talking about, so your statement is based on
ignorance of the facts. The most you can legitimately say is that your
experience is different from mine.

You are absolutely correct - I do not know the people to which you refer.
However to say that they went to a school with corporal punishmentnet turned
them from bright confident children into adults having had the confidence
knocked out of them suggests they were bullied rather fhan suffered from the
occasional cane or slipper for some minor lapse in their normally impeccable
behaviour.

In north England and Scotland the tawse (leather strap for hitting/whipping) was still
used in state schools up until the 1980's. I know many baby-boomer generation adults in
Scotland who say they were terrified of the tawse (and teachers who used it) because of the
pain often inflicted.... even for accidental offence or not knowing the right answer.

Janet