Old 13-08-2011, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default East & West Wall Fruit

"NT" wrote

I'm looking for plants for east & west facing walls in a sheltered
garden in the south east. Must produce food, must be perennials, low
maintenance required as they may get ignored at times, and the more
the yield the better. Available space per planting position is around
6-7' high, varying from 2-15' wide, 1.5 feet deep. Fruit would be
first choice, other options are a perhaps. There are walnuts in the
area, so they'll have to survive the possible walnut toxicity.

Any suggestions?

I think you would do better to contact one of the well known fruit plant
nurseries to discuss your requirements.
At 7ft tall you would may have a problem with restricting any fruit tree to
that height as even on very dwarfing rootstock most would eventually grow
too high unless severely pruned. Fan trained early fruiters like apricots,
peaches etc should do well on a West facing wall, provided they got sun for
the rest of the day, as they would be protected from the early sun which
burns the flowers after any frost. Speak to the National Fruit Collection
people at Brogdale, I've found them very helpful in the past.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK