Old 13-08-2011, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cotula cotula is offline

Default Tarragon

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:01:25 +0100, Mike Lyle
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 22:54:30 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote ...

"Charlie Pridham"wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote
I've tried to propagate French Tarragon from the cut herb sold in
supermarkets, but when I've got it to root, it's never survived. It's
been really hard to find growing plants, but I finally found chunky
ones for sale in 2-l pots at Webb's of Wychbold this week. £4.99:
ouch! but job done. Or was it? The leaves have little aroma, and the
taste is wrong: is somebody out there supplying GCs with Russian
Tarragon labelled as French?

I've just emailed Webb's about it; but I'd welcome any knowledge or
experience from urg.

Snip

Yes, I was wondering about that. I'll probably give it a go, since
it's so hard to find the damn things. I'll be mightily hacked off if
it doesn't work, though: I've only got a small and slightly tricky
garden, with no room for many passengers.

There is quite a bit of information at:
http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/FrenchTarragonHerb.asp

and it is in stock there.

I don't have any special interest or knowledge of herbs, but Jekka
McVicar seems to be the 'expert' most often mentioned when herbs are
being discussed.

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay.