Old 14-08-2011, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Baby tree already budding!

On Aug 12, 2:31*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:23:02 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

wrote:
I put in two young fruit trees a few months ago. *An apricot, and one
month later, a plum.

Yesterday I saw blooms all over the plum! *Sweet little tree, just a
baby, already trying to procreate!

I assume there won't be fruit this year...but you have to hand it to
the plum for trying.

I just found this so touching!

Plum trees really need a pollinator, you should have planted two
different plum trees. *And there is a good chance your plum and
apricot trees will cross pollinate and produce pluots. *Newly planted
stone fruit will usually blossom the first year but may not fruit for
4-5 years. *I planted two different plum trees four years ago, they
blossomed each year but this is the first year one produced plums.

I had the same combo -- plum and apricot -- for years at approx same
distance apart. They produced true fruit. When they had to be sent
to fruit heaven, I should have IMMEDIATELY replanted. Instead I let
too many years ago by. So I hope I'm still around when they produce
fruit.