Old 14-08-2011, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Travis Travis is offline

Default How long for bamboo to reastablish?

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:07:31 +0000, Dr. greenthumb wrote:

echinosum;930474 Wrote:
When you dig up bamboo and replant it, you lose a lot of the fine roots
that collect water and food for the plant. It is normal in this
situation to reduce the stress on the plant by reducing the
above-ground plant, so it can concentrate on rebuilding the root
system. This reduction can be done by reducing the number of culms,
shortening culms,
or even by a partial deleafing. This reduces the risk of the full
deleafing that you experienced with one plant.

Unfortunately by failing to do this, you have probably slowed down the
re-establishment. You can now get a "re-juvenation", in the bad sense,
ie, the plant starts to send up smaller juvenile culms, which will then
take a few years to mature again.

Black bamboo likes warmer conditions, so I expect this could be slower.
Depending exactly what you mean by golden bamboo, there are some that
are quite happy in the cooler conditions of E Scotland.

Depending upon how mature the plant was when you dug it up, feed it
very well - now is a very good time of year to feed them heavily to get
good growth next year - and maybe it will recover in 2-3 years, less
if it wasn't very old to start with.

Hi,

Thats what i had cross my mind! the specimens of golden bamboo look like
they are several years old and are 8' plus in height. i will get to the
local garden store and see about a high nitrogen food/fertiliser and if
i find something suitable i will stock up on it!! the black bamboo's
look fine except for the one that lost all the leaves, the other ones
are starting to grow fresh new leaves which can only be a good sign i
assume. hopefully we are in the area to stay and will not be moving
house again for years to come.

Thanks for you're help!!

Regards, Dr. G

I wouldn't use a high nitrogen fertilizer.
Bamboo is a grass so a fertilizer specifically for lawn would be more
apppropriate. I would suggest an organic as opposed to a chemical type.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington