Old 14-08-2011, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default East & West Wall Fruit

On 13/08/2011 08:08, Bob Hobden wrote:
"NT" wrote

I'm looking for plants for east & west facing walls in a sheltered
garden in the south east. Must produce food, must be perennials, low
maintenance required as they may get ignored at times, and the more
the yield the better. Available space per planting position is around
6-7' high, varying from 2-15' wide, 1.5 feet deep. Fruit would be
first choice, other options are a perhaps. There are walnuts in the
area, so they'll have to survive the possible walnut toxicity.

Any suggestions?

I think you would do better to contact one of the well known fruit plant
nurseries to discuss your requirements.
At 7ft tall you would may have a problem with restricting any fruit tree
to that height as even on very dwarfing rootstock most would eventually
grow too high unless severely pruned. Fan trained early fruiters like
apricots, peaches etc should do well on a West facing wall, provided
they got sun for the rest of the day, as they would be protected from
the early sun which burns the flowers after any frost. Speak to the
National Fruit Collection people at Brogdale, I've found them very
helpful in the past.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

I would have thought, Bob, that espalier-trained apples against a wall
would suit the OP, so height would be much less of a problem. They
would have a smallish footprint at the back of the border, allowing
other crops to be grown in front.

I have a Victoria Plum trained on a SW-facing fence. It is so much
easier to support and pick the crop. My only problem is that the fruits
are picked by squirrels, often before I get a look in. If the OP could
use nets, he/she would probably have more success. I can't, because I
have ornamentals in front of the plum and a net would interfere with
their care. At the planning stage (which is where the OP is), it's much
easier to build in fixings for netting.

With netting in place, even grapes would be an option.

We have a loquat tree which fruits for us. It makes a broad spreading
tree, though, with large evergreen leaves so this would tend to steal
both light and water from the other crops. It may be good for a
separate site.

Other ideas for fruit a rhubarb, blackcurrants, gooseberries,
raspberries. Strawberries would be good for ground level.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London