Old 15-08-2011, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Top broken out of walnut tree

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 20:30:31 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:29:03 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

The entire top of a black walnut tree at the back of the church property
broke off about 20' up; looks like a windstorm got it (but I don't
remember any strong winds recently.) I can either cut the top off clean
where it broke and let the tree try to grow back, or I can cut the tree
down. To safely fell the tree, I probably need to trim the broken part
off first anyway.

I assume the tree will send up a plethora of watersprouts if I leave
just a trunk there. Will a it grow back into a respectable tree from
that if I thin the watersprouts to the 3 or 4 biggest ones? Would they
also need spreaders or ropes to grow out them laterally instead of
straight up?

Or is the tree doomed and I should just cut it now and plant something else?
Could have been struck by lightening... sounds like that tree needs a
physical exam by an arborist before proceding

Since posting this, I've come to the same conclusion. The county has an
arborist, but his default answer to any question is "cut it down", so I
don't know how useful he is. Maybe I need to call the state dept of
agriculture.

Other folks are telling me to sell it for making gunstocks etc. and use
the proceeds to buy a new tree. I'll check into that, but I don't think
this tree's wood is very valuable. It's black walnut, but looks like
it's mostly white sapwood. I guess they can still stain it, or maybe
they steam it or something and the black heartwood darkens the sapwood...

Someone who tells everyone to cut it down is not an arborist. If the
part still standing has healthy leaves then the tree is worth
saving... it probably needs a little surgery and dentistry, may need
some cavity rot removed and then filled. I'd say planting a new black
walnut is a last resort, most folks alive today will be dead before a
sapling black walnut becomes a tree.

I won't know for sure until I trim the broken part(s), but I don't think
it will have any leaves. It broke right above the first branch and then
fell on that one remaining branch. Don't know how much damage it did to
the branch. The trunk looks healthy; I didn't see any rot looking at it
from the ground. And there are a few watersprouts but none in the right
places yet.

I want to find a *real* arborist to see if it has a chance. I think I
know how to trim it and train the new growth but I don't want to waste 4
or 5 years just postponing the inevitable if that time would be better
spent letting a new oak or maple or hickory (or hackberry, or cherry,
or...) tree grow to take its place.

Walnut trees are not much loved around here. OTOH, I could plant a
cottonwood tree :-)

-Bob