Old 14-08-2011, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bonfires

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

I would definitely burn ground elder, other pernicious weeds and stuff
like coral spot etc. You need a bit of fuel to do that successfully so
need to build up a bit of dry wood!

I wouldn't, and haven't had them surviving the heap in over 30 years.

Don't believe the nonsense you read about coral spot. Its spores
are ubiquitous, and it almost always attacks wood that has just
been killed by something else. Indeed, it is by no means certain
that it EVER causes the primary damage! You are also more likely
to spread its spores by burning than composting, as infects through
the branches, not the roots, and the fire could well spread them
in the smoke.

Note that I am not objecting to it being burnt, but I am saying
that it will probably do more harm than good. There is nothing
wrong (ecologically or usually environmentally) with bonfires of
clean plant material - I used to do it, don't any longer, and my
reasons are entirely different from those.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.