Old 15-08-2011, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Bonfires

On 14/08/2011 22:08, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Christina Websell
writes
Yes, I have 2 big compost heaps aided by my chickens poo, and I have a
shredder but my garden is 1/4 acre and has so many shrubs & trees to be
pruned that I cannot use all the mulch or have it decompose in the
compost
heap without it getting out of control and not working.

I defend my right to have a bonfire occasionally, so far down the
garden it
does not harm anyone - my neighbour cannot even see it and has no idea I
even had one.

I would definitely burn ground elder, other pernicious weeds and stuff

Most of the pernicious weeds don't last long in full sun on concrete. I
do usually burn them as well just to be certain.

like coral spot etc. You need a bit of fuel to do that successfully so
need to build up a bit of dry wood!

I tend to burn stuff that is diseased wood or too late in the season to
be worth the effort of composting.

I compost leaves separately from normal garden compost.

Regards,
Martin Brown