Old 15-08-2011, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Top broken out of walnut tree

Brooklyn1 wrote:

Walnut trees are not much loved around here. OTOH, I could plant a
cottonwood tree :-)

Cottonwood trees near any structure/building are big trouble, their
roots are very invasive and casue great damage to walks/roads and they
are a rather large tree that grows fast, unfortunately its wood is
weak and massive limbs can and do suddenly fall. I'd not plant
cottonwood as a specimen tree near buildings or in small spaces, they
are best way out in the open, they have interesting looking bark that
becomes so hard it'll make a chainsaw spark.

Without knowing where and in what type of location it's difficult to
recommend a tree, but I'd not plant a nut tree of any type as a street
tree or anywhere near buildings, they are very messy trees. Perhaps
consider a linden tree. I planted a Little Leaf Linden 'June Bride'
at the road on my property line, the first in a row of several other
trees acting as a kind of 'fence/boundary marker', it's doing very
well.
http://i55.tinypic.com/314pgr7.jpg

Nice looking tree you got there.

"Cottonwood" was a joke, because of all the fuzz. The whole town
would hate me. It would make a fine looking specimen though, and it's
out in an open area kind-of close to a little stream.

Maybe I should look into a /male/ cottonwood tree. Or a London
Planetree (related to sycamore.) We have room for something big like
that.

-Bob