Old 15-08-2011, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
gregz gregz is offline

Default Top broken out of walnut tree

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 14:29:03 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

The entire top of a black walnut tree at the back of the church property
broke off about 20' up; looks like a windstorm got it (but I don't
remember any strong winds recently.) I can either cut the top off clean
where it broke and let the tree try to grow back, or I can cut the tree
down. To safely fell the tree, I probably need to trim the broken part
off first anyway.

I assume the tree will send up a plethora of watersprouts if I leave
just a trunk there. Will a it grow back into a respectable tree from
that if I thin the watersprouts to the 3 or 4 biggest ones? Would they
also need spreaders or ropes to grow them more laterally instead of
straight up?

Or is the tree doomed and I should just cut it now and plant something else?

Could have been struck by lightening... sounds like that tree needs a
physical exam by an arborist before proceding

If lightning hit it, it would not have a clean cut. I would show what the
tree looks like across the street, but not now. It literally exploded in
the middle. Shredded down the center from the steam. Sections blown out.

Greg