Old 15-08-2011, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Coffee Kills Slugs

"Robert E A Harvey" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011 11:50:16 +0200, Martin wrote:
Let them drink Heineken.

Sooner them than me!

Give them cake!! Cheaper still, next time you go to the big city, give
Starbucks a ring and they will supply huge amounts of spent coffee grounds.
Howard Shultz (owner in the States), prefers the cafes to give it away for
gardening purposes, rather than it dumped in an infill site.
I phoned a couple of branches today, Bullring Brum and Deansgate Manchester
and they confirmed that it's also UK policy. They did request that you phone
them beforehand, so they can set some aside.

I use stockinette (polishing) roll. Cut off a metre, place into 2 Kg grounds
and knot each end. Place in stock-pot, pour over 3 litres of boiling water,
bring back to the boil and allow to cool. You can then top this up to 5
litres. Don't be tempted to squeeze the juice out of the stockinette, the
grinds are very fine and may clog your sprayer.

I've found that the spent (twice) grounds are neutral acidity and make a
great mulch:-
http://www.sustainableenterprises.co...coffeefert.htm

Bertie