Old 15-08-2011, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Please help identify this tree

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:48:23 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

"David E. Ross" writes:

On 8/15/11 8:36 AM, wrote:
carousel writes:

Please can anyone tell me what this tree is.

Filename: Photo0256 (2).jpg
| Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14386|

Rose of Sharon.

My favorite garden book says 'Rose of Sharon' is a mallow (Hibiscus
syriacus). The flowers in the photo are definitely not mallows.

The tree shape, leaf, and flower color look like rose of sharon.
I couldn't make out the flower shape but it didn't look quite right
I admit. I have seen some Rose of Sharon with different looking
flower shapes.

A closeup of the flower should be definitive.

It reminds me of crepe myrtle but once again doesn't seem quite right.

The leaves don't look right, they should have erose edges but more
rounded scallops than points, the branching structure doesn't look
right either, and the bark looks wrong too... the picture is too
blurry to make out flower configuration, only the flower color appears
correct for the most common but there exist other color blossoms too
(cream, yellow, lavender, white, even blue), and I'd like to see the
flower buds... I won't say it's rose of sharon until I see a better
quality picture, and I like to see where the trunk meets the ground...
it's mostly that branching habit that struck me immediately as looking
wrong to me.