Old 16-08-2011, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Todd Todd is offline

Default when to pick corn?

Hi All,

I am trying to grow 'Ruby Queen Hybrid" corn this year again.
last year it only got about 1-1/2 foot high. This year they
are getting about 5 to 6 foot tall. And I am starting to get
some ears.

Question: is there a good way to tell when it is time to pick
the ears?

I see all kinds of advice on you tube as to "how" to pick corn,
but not a lot about "when" to pick it. I got someone saying to
peal back a bit of the husk. But I really do not like this idea
as it will expose my ears to all kinds of bugs and I am try to grow
organically.

Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,
-T