Old 16-08-2011, 07:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default when to pick corn?

Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to grow 'Ruby Queen Hybrid" corn this year again.
last year it only got about 1-1/2 foot high. This year they
are getting about 5 to 6 foot tall. And I am starting to get
some ears.

Question: is there a good way to tell when it is time to pick
the ears?

I see all kinds of advice on you tube as to "how" to pick corn,
but not a lot about "when" to pick it. I got someone saying to
peal back a bit of the husk. But I really do not like this idea
as it will expose my ears to all kinds of bugs and I am try to grow
organically.

Any words of wisdom?

Many thanks,
-T

I assume you are growing sweet corn. You do need to peel back the husk to
examine the kernels, you can fold it back where it was if you decide not to
pick. Determining the readiness takes a little practice, the kernels need
to be full and plump and when you squeeze some juice out with your
fingernail the juice should be milky. If the corn is tasteless you have
picked too soon, if it is chewy and starchy you have left it too late.