Old 16-08-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Young apple tree advice please.

Martin Brown wrote in
:

On 16/08/2011 15:21, Baz wrote:
2 years ago I bought an apple tree and its first spring last year had
fruit.
This year it had no blossom and therefore no fruit but plenty of
foliage.

It has been fed and watered since planting.

It will almost certainly fruit again next year then. They go biennial
if you allow them to set too many fruit in one particular year.

With one thing or another I have neglected this tree and it has a BAD
case of greenfly on the young shoots.

Greenfly will be unsightly but won't harm the tree. Even a bad
infestation of woolly aphid can only inconvenience an apple tree.
Spray with a knockdown insecticide or soft soap solution.

Something has to be done with this tree, either keep it and look
after it or dig it up and start again.

Throw some high potash fertiliser on about now and leave well alone.

I don't know which variety it is as I have lost the details card
which is unlike me, I always like to keep the cards.

Any advice for me please?

Modern apple varieties are fairly easily recognised once you have some
fruit to taste and photograph. Leave it alone and be patient.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Thankyou Martin,

I will give it some potash and leave well alone.

And prune this winter? What I was going to do is give it a dressing down,
as in taking off a few branches because it has too many.

Thanks again
Baz